Aging parents are an ongoing concern for many young professionals. The grieving process is just one part of the complexities when faced with the death of a loved one. This session will explore the administrative aspects of what to expect when a loved one passes away and available planning tools, especially if you have been named as executor. The session will also touch on some available estate planning strategies.
Topics to cover:
- Duties of an executor
- Probate and potential traps in common probate-avoidance strategies
- Commonly missed, potentially significant tax consequences of death
- Applying for the CPP death benefit
- What can/cannot be deducted against income of the deceased/estate
- Your own estate planning – too young to plan?
Bring your own lunch. Beverages will be provided.
Short bio of Jen (lead and host) – Jennifer Caldwell is a Chartered Professional Accountant and Partner at D&H Group LLP. Jennifer provides accounting, assurance, income tax and business advisory services to small and medium sized not-for-profit organizations and privately-owned businesses. She has extensive experience with Canadian accounting standards for not-for-profit entities and Canadian income tax planning and compliance for individuals, trusts and corporations.
Maximum participants: 25